Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sambar

Hello frienz!!! I am posting one of my all time favourite dishes - Sambar. I love sambar with anything and everything edible :). It tastes great with Rice, Idli or even Dosa. This is one of the dishes that turns out great every time I make.


Ingredients
Kandi Pappu / Toor Dal - 1 cup
Onion - 1 Large
Tomato - 1 Large
Green Chillies - 3 Medium
Tamarind - Lemon ball sized
Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Sambar Powder - 2 tsps
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Vegetables Diced - 2 cups

We can use Brinjal, Drumsticks, Dosakaya (Cucumber), Carrot, Beans, Radish etc.

1) Cook Dal in Pressure cooker with 2 cups of water until dal becomes mushy.
2) Cut 3/4th onion, length wise. Put all the vegetables along with onion, slit greenchillies, diced tomato, turmeric, tamarind extract and salt in a container.
3) Pour water until all the vegetables float. Let the vegetables boil until tender.
4) Mash cooked dal and add it to the veggies. Add Red chilli powder and mix everything together.
5) Let the sambar boil on medium heat while stirring occasionally. At this stage, I normally boil sambar for more than half an hr.
6) Add Sambar powder and Cilantro to sambar.
7) Pour oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal to the pan. After mustard seeds start to splutter, add remaining chopped onion and garlic along with curry leaves. Fry everything until onions become translucent.
8) Add tadka to sambar while the sambar is boiling. I normally take a spoonful of sambar and clean the pan in which I did tadka. Then I pour that back into the sambar. This gives a very good taste to sambar. Trust me :)
9) Let sambar boil for 5 more minutes and turn it off.

Tip : Cut Brinjal without removing the stalk. Just like we do it for guthi vankaya.

2 comments:

swapna said...

Hey Your recipe is very good, can you please tell what brand of sambhar powder do you use or you make it at home.

Anonymous said...

Thank you swapna...I've used MTR Sambar Masala powder